Adultery is not a crime !!!
The Supreme Court has ruled the following on IPC Section 497 of IPC.
– Wife cannot be treated as chattel
– A man having sexual intercourse with a married woman is not a crime
– Man being the seducer and women being the victim no longer exists
– IPC 497 is violative and quashed
– Section 497 deprives women of dignity
– Women treated as property of her husband
– Section 497 found on the concept women loses her individuality once she is married
– Physicality is an individual choice
– Section 497 denudes women of her choice and disregards her sexual choice
Personally, I think that this is a landmark judgement by the Supreme Court which quashes the concept of a Woman being recognised as a property of the husband by LAW and thus not being responsible for her own actions.
It also decriminalizes a consensual act between two adults ensuring that the Government continues to stay out of the bedrooms of people.
But most importantly, it puts the wife on the same equal level as the husband.
It is time the Indian Women stopped thinking of themselves as a property of their husbands and throw the concept of “Pati Parmeshwar” out of the window into the dustbin along with most of the misogynists who belong there.
Of course, it will take a longer time for the Indian Men to start thinking on those lines, as it does not work to their advantage in doing so.
This post was first published by Darshan Mondkar on his Facebook Timeline.
Disclaimer: Those who are still confused about what “Equal Rights” and “Equal Opportunity” means are requested to attend a cutting edge demo session taken by our Expert—- PhD Dr. Lorena Bobbitt